Friday, January 6, 2012

Skating and Workouts and Go Karting, Oh My!

We're on vacation this week! We usually take the two weeks off with the kids over the school break, spending the first week crazy busy with Christmas, then use the rest of the break to relax, rejuvenate and have fun close to home rather than pack bags and travel.

So - how'd we spend the first week of 2012?

Saturday - New Year's Eve - 2.5K Resolution Run in the morning. Had friends over for dinner & games for the evening, then headed out the door for a 1.25K family/dog walk followed by sparklers & noise makers on the front lawn at midnight.

V2.0, me, SIL and nephew waiting to start the run
Sunday - 1.1K dog walk in the AM. Spent the rest of the day in our PJs, reading our new Christmas books, watching movies and playing games. Oh, and I signed up for my first try-a-tri!

August 25, 2012 - 400m swim, 10K bike, 2.5K run
This has set off a flurry of goal setting for 2012 - 2014
Monday - Beautiful, crisp day! Met up with friends to go ice skating for the first time this season. 2.2K dog walk before dinner.
Why yes, I am wearing my spiffy new Resolution Run jacket, thank you for noticing.
Tuesday - Back to the gym and so, so happy to be feeling great! Full workout + mini bootcamp (15 tricep dips + 30-second plank + 40 crab kicks + 70 assorted crunches + 25 pushups). Today's workout was #427; I'm aiming to get to 500 before July.

Later - spent an hour helping my husband scrape paint off of my son's bedroom walls and ceiling. Wasn't in our plan for this week, but turned out to be a necessary step to prepare his room for painting.

This was a lot of scraping. Daughter dropped in to help for a bit. My hands are sore now.
Wednesday - 2K dogpark walk (and a lot of throwing the ball for fetch) in AM, 2K dogpark walk in afternoon (and a lot of dog/human soccer), took kids skating before bed.

Love after-dark skating
Thursday - Took the kids to the Science Centre to check out the Leonardo da Vinci exhibit, then hit a rink for some more skating time. After dinner - Curves + bootcamp #2 for the year (150 assorted crunches, 30 full situps holding a 10lb medicine ball at arms' length, 35s plank, 25 pushups). Working my way back to the level I was at before I got sick.

Taking a picture of yourself skating while trying not to skate into someone or get in other people's way is tricky.
That's my son's buddy in the background.
Friday - 2K dogpark walk + 1K dog walk, then out to try something new: go karting! This is something that's been on my son's wishlist for a while, and I'm glad that we finally got to it. My son is at a perfect height right now - tall enough to drive the fast karts with adults, but also short enough to go out on the junior karts with his sister. Win-win all around.

Me finally working up the courage to go at top speed - 35kph wheeeeee

Kids karts maxed out at 22kph.
My son absolutely loved this - which we expected - and so did my daughter! She wasn't sure about it initially, but when she found out that no adults are allowed on the course when kids are taking a turn...and then realized that since her brother was the only other kid there this evening, the track would be pretty empty...she thought she'd give it a try. She was nervous at first but got over that as soon as she rounded the first turn in the course. And went back for another turn with a huge smile on her face.

And me? I was equally nervous! There's something about the sensation about not being in control that I have a hard time with. Water slides do the same thing to me. But I'm proud to say that I went out for 4 turns - and enjoyed it :-)

How's your 2012 - off to a good start?

1 comment:

  1. A busy week!

    I haven't gone go karting in years (decades?). I loved it way back when I did it as a teenager though.

    ReplyDelete