Friday, August 5, 2011

Trying Something New - Parasailing!

Yes, you heard me - parasailing. Those of you who know me well will understand just how much courage this one took!

The president of my company threw a staff appreciation party this week at a cottage up north. It's a beautiful spot on a lovely lake, and he treated us to spa treatments, catered food, water sports (hosted by a local company) and more. Such a great day!

I was peacefully swimming with my daughter when...

"Any one want to go parasailing?" Um no. Nope, not me. Noooooo wayyyyy.

I get motion sick on swings at the park.

I go white-knuckled with terror on Ferris wheels.

Let's not even talk about roller coasters.

My son, however, thought that parasailing was a GREAT idea. "Mom, Mom, Mom - we HAVE to do this!!!"

Seriously? "MOM!"

So - I signed the waiver. Got in the boat with my son and a few other people. Took a number of deep breaths. Watched a few coworkers go up. Nothing bad happened to them. That's promising...but still...

Asked my son if he'd be OK going up alone if I chickened out. He shot me a dirty look. Guess not. Huh.

Reminded myself that I am a WARRIOR. That helped. Took a few more deep breaths. And the next thing you know, I was in the harness and ready to go:

Smiling but nervous and also terrified that I'll forget the instructions for avoiding the dreaded "parasailer's wedgie"

And gentle as anything, we were lifted up...


...up...


...and away!

We're about 450 feet up here - and the view is spectacular!

They brought us down briefly to dip our toes in the lake -


Sent us back up again -

Yes, I do believe he's enjoying this!
 And eventually brought us back down to the boat -




We didn't stop grinning the entire time! This was seriously fun and YOU HAVE TO TRY IT!

I was really suprised by how gentle the ascent, the ride and the descent were.

I had a brief bad moment up in the air when I caught myself wondering if whomever knotted the tether to the parachute is good at tying knots...and another when my son told me to look straight down...but otherwise this was a completely amazing experience and I'm so, so glad that I worked up the courage to try it. Would I do it again? Heck, yes!

Many thanks to my office for treating us to an incredible day!

Son? Thanks for getting me on the boat today. I never would have done this if it wasn't for you.

Here's this week's recap:

Saturday - Took the kids down to Cherry Beach for a picnic. Water was a bit...algaeic? Skipped stones and splashed around but no real swimming.

Sunday - Relax. Thought about doing housework. Did some laundry and called it a day.

Monday - Simcoe Day Holiday! Celebrated by going to the lake - Lake Simcoe, where else? Seemed appropriate :) Swam and played in the water with the kids for hours. Ahhhhhh.  

Feels like I spent the entire week in my bathing suit - not a bad thing at all
Tuesday - back to work after 2 weeks of vacation. Curves + 20 pushups after dinner.

Wednesday - 1K walk at lunch; Zumba + 1/2 Curves workout after dinner. Signed up to volunteer at a race in September.

Thursday - Zumba + 20 pushups after dinner.

Friday - Parasailing, swimming and generally having a great time. Every week should be a 3-day work week, no?

3 comments:

  1. How great does that sound!!!! The closest I've come is zipline which was also fantastic!

    I think I want to work with you.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Parasailing!! What's next...skydiving?? Awesome pics Jen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skydiving? Hahahahahaha - NO. Julie's got me thinking about ziplining though!

    ReplyDelete