Friday, August 19, 2011

Home Alone

My husband's on vacation with the kids this week and took them out of town for a few days. We thought back on if I've ever been left home completely alone since the kids were born (they are 11 and 7) - and nope, this is the first time.

I love my family like crazy, but moms out there will understand that at the moment they drove away, a burst of sunshine broke through the clouds and I'm pretty sure I heard angels singing.

How did I spend my time? Did I go shopping? Hang with my friends? Go to a movie?

Nope.

I grabbed this opportunity to work out without keeping an eye on the clock. Rode my bike. Went to the pool. Went to the gym (on my bike!).

Big grin.

My husband and children are each extremely supportive of me heading out the door to exercise on my own, but ultimately I need to make sure that I get back within a reasonable amount of time so that I can hang with them. Especially on week days, when we've already been apart all day.

I know that the time will come when my children need me less. I'm absolutely in no hurry for that. But when I have the change to go on a long ride - I snatch it!

Kevin posted something this week that pretty much mirrors the way my brain works:

Not too long ago, I talked to a man that biked from Ottawa to Vancouver in 44 days - inspiring, I know. But, what usually happens when Kevin listens to these stories… Well, Kevin wants to do something cool too. (Read the full post)

Listening to stories like that sets me on fire too. For now, the things I set my sights on will continue to be the kind that have training plans that fit the needs of my family.

I'm cool with that.

And when the kids get older? Hmmm.

Wonder if I can take a couple of months off work and bike to Vancouver...?

Here's this week's recap -

Saturday - Curves + 26 pushups. In the evening, we took the kids to see an outdoor performance of MacBeth put on by Driftwood Theatre -


To know my deed, 'twere best not know myself.

We've got a few children's adaptations of Shakespeare's plays and read the version of MacBeth through a few times in the days before the play. Was a great refresher for us, and knowing the story allowed the kids to get absorbed in the show despite not always understanding the dialogue.

My son and I caught Driftwood's Romeo & Juliet a couple of summers ago and were absolutely wow'd by the performance. MacBeth was no different - this was gripping, edge-of-your-seat drama that had all 4 of us captivated from the opening scene right to the end. The kids talked about the story, the perfomance, the props, the set and the staging all the way home and right until they fell asleep - and then woke up talking about it the next morning! Love it. Can't wait to see what Driftwood puts on next summer.

My Sunday ride took me through this very peaceful garden
Sunday - 17.8K bike ride, followed by 11 slow and lazy laps of the deep end at the pool (about 550m total), then 4.2K round trip ride to pick up Indian food for dinner. Big grin.

Monday - 6K round trip ride to my gym and back; worked out + 24 pushups. Beautiful rainbow in the sky during my ride home. Oh, and I agreed to do a bus pull with my gym in September. Yes, you heard me - a bus pull.

Tuesday - 16 laps at the pool (about 800m). Went slow and focused on technique. Think I'm finally on the road to solving two of my most major problems. Big grin.

Wednesday - Cuddle day - my family came home last night. Good to see them! Can't believe how loud the house seems all of a sudden.

Thursday - 1K walk at lunch to go buy some swim goggles - my first pair - to celebrate my emerging swim skills. After dinner, Zumba + once around the circuit + 26 pushups.

Friday - Long day at work but....NOW I'M ON VACATION! Big grin. It's been a very fabulous week.

1 comment:

  1. Oh sounds heavenly!!! I remember back when my kids were young and I was still married that was the best think I could think of to be just left alone at the house...even if for only a few hours. :)

    Awesome week!

    ReplyDelete