Friday, March 11, 2011

Version 2.0 Takes the Stairs

My kids are both healthy, fit and strong. Somewhat picky eaters, but they have reasonably good eating habits. Unsupervised, I think they'd go on an all-carbs diet, but they understand what a balanced meal looks like and genuinely seem to enjoy eating fruit and certain veg. We are trying to give them the tools they need to look after themselves in life. Fingers crossed that it sticks.

They are my biggest cheerleaders when it comes to my journey to fitness, and are fairly active themselves. They are still young enough that they naturally run and play at recess, they both love to swim, scooter, ride bikes etc., etc. My son sometimes joins me on my daily pushups, my daughter has come to Zumba a couple of times, and they have both asked to powerwalk 5Ks with me this year. I could not be happier.

My 11-year-old son has been asking to do the CN Tower climb with me. I've been fairly nervous about this - I am *pretty* sure that he is fit enough for it but wasn't *really* sure, and am also nervous how I'd do on the Climb if pacing myself against another person.

It's the Where's Waldo: Jen Edition
Part-way up the Baldwin Steps - March 2011
This past weekend, we headed over to the Baldwin Steps for some training and to help me decide if he's up for the Tower. This is a popular spot - it's a set of 111 stairs that runs north from Davenport up the hill to Casa Loma. A number of runners seem to plan their routes around it; other folks like to jog up and down the stairs. It's a pretty spot and there's a great view of the city from the top.

My son knocked it out of the park! He jogged up, down, and back up again...and back up again...and again! He jogged up (and down) a full 6 times - which is close to climbing 40% of the Tower - without breaking a sweat. He's clearly fit enough for this challenge, and I've signed him up!

Now I just have to teach him to go at my pace. If I try to go up the Tower as fast as he seems capable of...I'll collapse!

There he goes again..
Here's this week's recap -

Saturday - Crazy busy day. Haircut, daughter gymnastics, family dentist appointments, errands. Finished it off with a lovely, relaxing evening having dinner with friends and their children - a perfect end to a nutty day!

Sunday - Curves in the AM, downtown for a play (Alice in Wonderland at the LKTYP), step training (see above - I climbed 3 times), pub grub for dinner (ahhhh, Guinness), home.

Monday - 1.8K power walk at lunch, Curves + 42 pushups after dinner.

Tuesday - 1.4K power walk in the AM from a doctor's appt to work. Took the rest of the day easy.

Wednesday - 2.5K power walk to the AGO and back at lunch.

Thursday - 1.3 easy walk at lunch with Lynda to the Running Room, to pick up our race kits for Sunday's
5K! Zumba + Curves + 44 pushups after dinner.

Friday - Kicked off March break by taking the kids to the ROM after school. We stayed for 4 hours! Brushed up on our history and got our fill of dinosaurs. More on this next week.

What I'm reading this week - Walking by John Stanton of the Running Room. Seems like a good time to learan how to do this walking thing properly, eh?

...and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment