Friday, February 18, 2011

February Funk

Just like clockwork, I was hit hard by the February Funk this week. Looks like I'm not alone; I'm seeing similar sentiments coming from other bloggers. What it is about February? Is the dreary weather getting to us? Is there something magical about being 6 weeks into the new year, or 6 weeks after Christmas?

I don't know. I do know that the cure for this is to eat well and stay active - but my motivation to eat well and stay active is slipping this week. Seriously slipping.

Winter Carnival and curling on the lake - February 2011
We had fun at both ends of the week, but even so this funk has got me firmly in its grips. Doesn't help that both kids have been sick back-to-back, my husband is away on a (rare) business trip and it's been close to impossible to get out to exercise. Can't leave sick kid to go to the gym in the evenings, and working from home while minding that same kid means I'm not able to power walk and do stairs during the workday. Sure, there's ways to exercise at home, but home is where I feel sluggish.

I think Pa says it best -take a minute and give this a read: 

I have been diligent about logging everything I eat on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ every single day, so at least I can see how far off track I get every day. Surprisingly, it's usually not as bad as I feared, and usually within the range to maintain my weight. I am spending a lot of time fighting off the urge to completely overindulge though.


The good news? The St. Pat's 5K is coming up fast and I've challenged my son to do a 100 Days to 100 Pushups Challenge with me. Makes us giggly, which is a good thing.

Here's to moving through February and getting our heads on straight!

Hahaha - Ice Jail! February 2011

Here's a recap from this week:

Saturday - Curves in the AM including my daily pushups (11 + 26), then out of town to my mom's for the weekend. Took the kids to the Winter Carnival - playing in the ice castle, sliding around on the frozen lake, general playing in the snow.

Sunday - Still at my mom's. Back to the Winter Carnival for the petting zoo, kid skidooing and general playing in the snow. Pushups when we got home in the evening (12 + 28) and practiced Zumba in the family room.

Monday - Didn't sleep well last night. Skipped the stairs, no lunchtime walk. Did manage the daily pushups though (13 + 30).

Tuesday - Home with a sick kid. Pushups: 14 + 32 (OUCH)

Wednesday - Home with a sick kid. Pushups: 0. Crawled into bed with the kids and a DVD at 7pm.

Thursday - Home with a sick kid. I love him and everything, but this is really losing its charm. Pushups: 0

Friday - Kids and I are off on a PA day, and it's my daughter's birthday! My son is still sick but is finally feeling well enough for a change of scenery. Went to Riverdale Farm for some fresh air and to visit the animals. A few of the ewes had lambed recently, and we had a good laugh watching the lambs bounding around their pen and come running every time their mother called for them. Went to my sister-in-law's for dinner afterwards. My daughter and her cousin put on a disco dance party for us, and my SIL + MIL and I took the dog for a 2K walk afterwards. Nice way to end a difficult week.

What I'm reading this week: Not a single thing. Couldn't even keep up with the newspaper.

Bouncy and happy - new lambs! February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment