Friday, February 4, 2011

Winter Fun

OK - this was seriously fun. The Kortright Centre put on a dogsledding & winter fun weekend and you'd better believe that we got ourselves over there. Spent the better part of a day there, watching dog sled races, petting a ton of Huskies, showshowing, having hot chocolate, roasting marshmallows over a bonfire, going for rides on a dogsled and sledding down the hills. Fun, fun, fun - and the kids got to knocks a few things off their lists!

MUSH! January 2011
It was amazing to watch the Huskies before their races. Every single dog was practically vibrating with energy, eager to get out on the course. Lots and lots and lots and LOTS of barking. One of the handlers told me that his family has about 14 dogs on 100 acres, and carves a 15-mile track in the snow every winter for them to run and race. Says that they are happiest when the temperature falls below -20, that he can see them actually grinning when they're out in the weather that they were bred for.  

One of the things that I love about living in this climate is having such a variety of seasonal activities. Can't go dog sledding in California! (or can you?)

Saturday - Curves in the AM; walked the kids down to the community centre & back (1.1K) and went swimming for 90 minutes. 

Sunday - Dogsledding, snowshoeing. So fun.

Jen Goes Snowshoeing - January 2011. Haven't done this since, oh, Grade 7?
Monday - Quick walk and stairs to 7 at lunch. Curves after dinner. Came home to find out that Ben, Jed and Pa are going to Do Life in Toronto this summer!!!!! All 4 of us are planning on doing their 5K, just waiting for them to set the date. My kids are just as excited as I am. Hope I don't swooooon when I meet the Davis boys. My husband is completely prepared for me to make a fool of myself.

Tuesday - Stairs to 7 in AM, power walk at lunch (about 1.5K) with Lynda.

Wednesday - Snow day! Kids had the day off school and had a ton of fun while my husband and I tried to work from home.

Thursday - Power walk at lunch (about 1K) + stairs to 7 at lunch, Zumba Curves after dinner. Snuck my daughter in...she's been begging to come...!

Friday - Stairs to 7 in AM; 1.4 power walk outside at lunch. Chilly day!

What I'm reading this week - Never Change by Elizabeth Berg, and Dead Until Dark - the first 'Sookie Stackhouse' book by Charlaine Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment